Sunday, February 7, 2016

Holy Medical Bills

I knew I'd have a heck of a bill. I normally don't complain about health insurance or the cost of it. It's a necessary thing- especially with my history in the medical world. But cripes almighty it's still a shock when the bills start coming in.

To put things in perspective- when I had my hip reconstructed in 2002- my out of pocket maximum was $1300, and that was a heck of a surgery, cutting bones apart and bolting them back together is serious business, not to mention the 6 weeks spent in a hospital bed in my living room AND the 6 months of therapy. And I paid $1300.

My deductible is $3000- I knew I'd being paying that, it the $10,000 out of pocket maximum that I was not looking forward to, and since all of this cancer wonderfulness took place at the end of the year. I'll have two beautiful years of that glorious $10,000 out of pocket maximum to deal with.
And yes it's pretty frustrating when a person works hard every day and still is socked with that after the emotional turmoil of cancer in general. 
I don't blame the medical facilities, what I do have some angst about would be the people that are perhaps taking advantage of the situation and only pay a minimum for some medical treatments that are even more extensive than mine because they are on subsidies.
It's a hard nut to swallow when a person is trying to do all they can- have two kids in college and have to figure out a way to pay for all of this on top of things.
Winning the lottery isn't an option- I used all my luck when I met Pep and anything I had left was used on the Stage 0 cancer.
I'm not a crook so I can't rob a bank or anything- my mom would kick my butt.

So this is where a girl needs to put her big girl panties on and suck it up and figure something out.
I'd get another job but my hours aren't really conducive to allow that and I love my job too much to have something affect it. I love to be able to have one of those lovely "work at home" data entry jobs. But I've come to believe that those aren't something that's really a thing. 

My options are pretty limited- I know I can't afford another $400 a month in payments for medical bills, thank goodness my taxes are going to be done soon, maybe I can knock that sucker down to $200 :)

I just keep telling myself that it's better than planning a funeral, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment