Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Drain Day #1



Day was a good one.
Had two drains removed- not bad- would have been better to get all of them but beggar's can't be choosers. 
I was a little nervous about the removal, I asked Dr. Gottlieb if it hurt.
His response: "yes it does"
well that is not what I had expected but he said he could have lied but then I would tell people my doctor lied to me- valid point.

It wasn't too bad and he said everything else is looking really good. Even my black nipple- says it'll probably come back and that it's from Seydel needing to scrape really close to make sure she got everything. I'm ok with that- better than worrying about the cancer coming back right?
And while I like my nipples- been with them a long time- I'm not heartbroken- best thing was hearing I wouldn't be facing another potential surgery.

Dr. Gottlieb asked what size i wanted to go with- hhhmmmmm- I could have said allot of things but really don't want to have to invest in an all new bra inventory so I'll go with the same or as close as possible that he can do.
He said that with what he's seeing people won't be able to tell anything- the scars will be faded and underneath and all in all I'll look "normal".

AND- I can shower- like a real shower-not sure how I'm going to hook those drains up while I do but I'll figure something out.

I won't have feeling in most of my chest- just a side effect of the surgery as a whole and a small price to pay I think- Dying is permanent as my sister would say.


Next week when I go I get to have the other drains and the expanders will start to be filled- that will be a little weird but all part of the trip I guess.

Through this whole thing Pep and I keep saying how many people we are finding out have had something like this or much much worse. It's so common and the 1 in 8 thing doesn't really stick until you're the 1 in 8.

The biggest thing in all of this is hearing all of the support- many many friends from way back are touching base and it's nice to hear from them- the support is amazing- nicest thing is there's not the sympathy or the feeling sorry- empathy I can do - i do not like being felt sorry for and they all seem to know this somehow.

So after the appointment me an my Jessica hit Target- comical thing is i bought two new bras- not that i can wear them for awhile but hey - it's something to look forward to and i like bras.


No comments:

Post a Comment