Sunday, January 17, 2016

Man Friend

In the previous post I talked about how I hit the jackpot- NO I STILL HAVE NOT WON THE LOTTERY.

But it got me thinking about my man friend.
Historical reference points: 
Pep and I knew each other in high school. He says he remembers me- I think he's being kind :). I hadn't seen him in years. Until my ex-husband and I bought our new home 11 years ago, during one of the stops while it was being built- low and behold - there was Pep doing the plumbing. I'll be honest I nearly fainted. 

Fast forward 11 years. I'm in the midst of the divorce era- out with my neighbors- Casey and Krista Krause aka Tomika Mosby at the local bar. I'm minding my own business - having a blast- which is normal with the company I was keeping.
During this time Tomika texts Mr. Pep and tells him to come to the bar. 
Needless to say when he walks in I was a little taken aback- which is the polite way of saying "holy crap, he's here"

The next day I get a text from Pep asking to get together.
First "date" is on the back of his Harley, I'm asking myself at this point what in the hell am I doing? I'm almost 40 and getting on the back of a motorcycle.

Oh well, here goes nothing. During the divorce era I had realized that for the last 3 years of my marriage I had been existing, not living. And realizing that made me promise myself that from that point on I was not going to just exist, I'm going to live, have fun, try new things that I normally wouldn't- disclaimer being as long as they didn't include heights.

I confessed to him that night about the huge crush I had on him in high-school.
I remember hearing the song by Tim McGraw- Not a Moment Too Soon, and that is exactly how I feel about Pep. It's also the tattoo on my left wrist.

Fast Forward 2.5 years later, I couldn't be happier, we're enjoying the life we've built together, road trips, the Harley, Amish Sundays (we both enjoy cooking, allot- so at least once a month we spend a Sunday canning something, cooking and freezing something etc )all of the kids are doing well- then BLAM- the cancer. (there should be some good music played after that )


So keep in mind- we're not married, we have not been together "THAT" long.

Here's where the proof is in the pudding.



Thanksgiving Day 2015


Pep was there every step of the way, all of the angst, the tears, the fear. He was there.

We get home from the hospital and he's already getting a hand held shower installed so I can shower, he washes my hair for me, strips the lines of the drains, basically is there for anything I need. Helping me get up, helping me sit. He cooks the Xmas ham, cleans, everything.

So yeah I hit the Jackpot. I remember telling him I was sorry, sorry about the Cancer, sorry about what it was going to do to our lives. 
His response- It is what it is and maybe this is Gods way of bringing us closer together. 
Things happen for a reason he says, that's why we're together at all, it was meant to be us- together, as a team.

So yeah- Cancer sucks, it's an emotional roller coaster, not only for the person with it but for all of the friends and family, the supporters, the people that are there every step of the way.
I just happen to be able to depend on my Man Friend - who also happens to be my Best Friend.




No comments:

Post a Comment